Seriatopora hystrix variable temperature study (SHVTS)
Briefly, corals from an upwelling site (Houbihu) and a non-upwelling site (Houwan) in Southern Taiwan were exposed to either upwelling-simulating (i.e, "variable;" 23-29ºC over a 6-hr period) or stable (26ºC) temperature regime for one week, and a variety of physiological and molecular-scale parameters were assessed. All data has been posted below.
1. For the description of the original SHVTS experiment, please see this manuscript.
2. For access to the S. hystrix transcriptome, as well as a description of the experiment, please go to
generation sequencing chemistries, check out this (old!) Power Point presentation. For a huge
fasta file of the contig sequences, please click here.
3. For more molecular-scale data on this same samples, please see this manuscript.
4. There was also an interest in knowing how the transplantation out of the field and into the
aquarium affected the experimental corals, a topic discussed in this manuscript.
5. An analysis of proteins over-expressed by samples of the stable temperature treatment relative to
those of the variable temperature treatment can be found in this book chapter.
6. An analysis of proteins differentially concentrated between conspecifics of the two study sites,
Houwan and Houbihu, can be found in this manuscript. The differentially concentrated proteins
can be found in list form here.
7. Finally, a large-scale comparison of the transcriptome vs. the proteome was conducted, and
essentially zero congruency was found between gene and protein expression. The manuscript
(Mayfield et al. 2016 Mol Ecol) can be downloaded here.
My main goal now is to do more protein sequencing with nano-LC to see if the 2D+MS data are reproducible (and also to see if any additional differentially concentrated proteins are unveiled).
I have nearly published all of the data associated with this project. We even tested the physiological condition of corals in the field vs. those used in the experiments (in this manuscript). Here are the associated data files (this is a work in progress):
1. Here is a JMP file for all data for the 12 RNA-Seq samples only. The associated raw data can be
2. Field data from the sampling sites: Houbihu (upwelling) and Houwan (non-upwelling).
B: Wanlitong (near Houwan) light data.
C: Houbihu light data.
3. Tank data.
B: Light data (photosynthetically active radiation).
C: Light data averaged across week-long experiment in JMP format.
C: Light data-in situ vs. ex situ.
Real-time PCR data for four Symbiodinium genes targeted as part of the first publication describing this experiment (Mayfield et al. 2012 J Exp Biol). download
For a PCA featuring all expressed mRNAs (RNA-Seq), please scroll to the interactive plot at the bottom of the page.